Home / Web, Mobile & Social Media / Social Media
What Is Social Media?
- An ongoing conversation that’s happening RIGHT NOW
- A promotional channel for content distribution
- A long-term return on efforts
- A steady stream of information for:
- Building Relationships
Current Social Media Statistics
- Over 80% of the US population has a profile on one or more social network
- Social media has overtaken email as the #1 activity on the web
- 17% of all web usage
- People who have social media pages by age group:
- 18-24: 77%
- 25-34: 65%
- 35-44: 51%
- Of 800 million users, 20 million join fan pages every day
- 25 billion links, photos, and videos are shared on Facebook each month
- 100 million users on mobile devices
- Radio and TV took decades to reach 50 million users
- Facebook added 100 million users in 6 months
- Over 500 million users
- 75% of Twitter usage happens off of twitter.com
- Over 10 million updates per day
- Adding 300,000 new accounts every day
- 2nd largest search engine on the web
- 4th largest site on the web
- 13 hours of video uploaded to YouTube every minute
- 9.5 Billion videos streamed online in April, 2009 – YouTube made up 58%
- Over 1 Billion views per day
How is Social Media Used?
- Customer Service
- Product/Service Feedback
- Industry Networking
- News, Company Updates
- Internal Collaboration
Facebook Promotion Example
Build relationships, connect with new customers, and strengthen customer relationships by providing a richer online experience.
Invite customers to become a fan on your organization's Facebook page or Twitter and offer the opportunity to win big through a random drawing or digital gift.
Once connected, lead them to a special landing page featuring a customized digital promotion offering a large prizes or gifts
Twitter Promotion Example
- Dallas Radio Station Offers First Ever Twitter $1 Million Song of the Day Contest
- One Grand Prize Finalist Will Be Selected for Chance to Win, Begins 8/31(Dallas, Texas – August 31, 2009) Dallas-based 99.5 The Wolf, a Cumulus Media station, and SCA Promotions, the world’s leading provider of promotional risk coverage for contests, games and promotions, has partnered to run the first ever $1 Million Twitter Song of the Day Contest.
- To qualify, listeners must tune in to The Wolf between 8/31/09 and 9/4/09 and listen for the Twitter Song of the Day. After registering on Twitter and following The Wolf at http://twitter.com/995thewolfdfw, listeners must tweet the appropriate response after hearing the daily Song of the Day. Each day, The Wolf will award concert tickets to ten contestants. At the end of the Song of the Day contest, one grand prize finalist will be selected to play for $1 million. To become an instant millionaire, the grand prize finalist must correctly predict the final score of the Dallas – New York professional football game on September 20.The million dollar prize is being covered by SCA Promotions.
- If the grand prize finalist predicts the final score of the game, SCA will give The Wolf the money to award the winner. “We hope listeners act on the chance to win this life-changing prize by tuning in to the Wolf and following us on Twitter http://twitter.com/995thewolfdfw, said Craig Cohn from 99.5 The Wolf. “We expect listeners to be excited because this is the first regular season game at Dallas’ new stadium,” said Cohn.